Services to help you in your home and how we manage your neighbourhood and communities

Help with your tenancy

We know that managing a new home can be difficult, especially if it is your first tenancy. If you are having problems with your tenancy, please contact us and we may be able to provide support and advice.

We can help you to:

  • Understand your tenancy agreement
  • Help you manage your money and your rent payments
  • Help you claim benefits
  • Provide advice on getting your gas and electric connected
  • Advise you how to look after your property
  • Gain support from livin Futures to access training and move into employment
  • Help you deal with antisocial behaviour
  • Assess if you need extra support and put you in touch with other support agencies, if you need them
Tenant support options

We want you to be happy and healthy in your livin tenancy. If you are struggling to manage your tenancy or stay independent in your home because of your health or you feel isolated from the rest of your community, there is a range of ways in which we may be able to help.

For example, we can refer you to a specialist health support team, advise you about adapting your home, introduce to your local community groups or advise you on activities in your local community that could improve your overall health and wellbeing.

Please contact us for more details.


Employment support

If you need support to get a job, livin Futures can help.

In the past 12 months, over 600 people have taken part in a programme to help them move closer to employment, resulting in 275 people gaining employment.  Support has included work experience, vocational training, job search, CV preparation and confidence building.

Please contact the livin Futures team for more information, or alternatively, complete an employability form.

Care Connect

The Care Connect service is an alarm service provided by Durham County Council.

This provides 24-hour emergency cover every day of the year. In the event of an emergency, operators will respond to your call and offer reassurance and appropriate support.

For more information about this service contact Durham County Council.

Tenancy visits

We carry out tenancy visits to all of our tenants at least once within a 3 year period. This visit allows us to ensure we have up to date contact information, check ID, carry out a property assessment to check for any fire risk issues and discuss any concerns or required support to help maintain your tenancy.

An appointment will be sent out to you, however, if the proposed appointment is not convenient, please contact us and an alternative can be arranged.


If your neighbour is being too noisy or is causing a nuisance, talking to them is often the best way to solve the problem. Most people are reasonable if you speak to them in person and sometimes they may not realise that they are causing a nuisance.

If you do not think you are able to sort the problem out yourself please contact us and we will discuss the best way to deal with it.

Community plans

livin produces a series of community plans that highlight the key issues for each of our communities.  These Plans are developed every 2-3 years using a range of data relating to issues such as unemployment levels, low income and health. This data identifies the communities that are in most need of our support and the issues that are specific to that local community. 

Our latest community plans are being developed now and residents will have the opportunity to give feedback on the plans before they are published later in the year. 

Abandoned homes

If you think that a property that is owned by us looks abandoned, please contact us immediately. We will investigate and take the appropriate action.

Dumping rubbish

We want neighbourhoods to be clean and attractive places to live. If you find dumped rubbish in a shared area or you see someone dumping rubbish in your neighbourhood, please contact us. If the rubbish has been dumped on land we are responsible for we will remove it. We will take action against the tenancy of anyone responsible for dumping rubbish. If it is not on our land we provide appropriate guidance and advice to try to resolve the problem.

Neighbourhood improvements

We carry out a wide range of work in your neighbourhood including:

  • Ground maintenance – we will maintain grass, trees and flowerbeds on open spaces that we are responsible for
  • Unadopted footpaths – we will keep footpaths that are our responsibility maintained so they are safe
  • Open air communal areas – we inspect and manage our garage blocks, garage sites and garden sites
Vandalism and graffiti

If you see vandalism or graffiti in the community you live in please let us know. If it is on our land or property we will arrange for it to be removed.

If it is not our land or property we will refer your report to Durham County Council.

Community Regeneration Fund

The livin Community Regeneration Fund is open to all tenants or residents as well as community groups from our neighbourhoods. Our aim is to improve the economic and social quality of our communities by investing in local projects and initiatives.

For more information visit the main website

Rubbish and refuse collection

Durham County Council is responsible for both rubbish and refuse collections. A wheeled bin collection service is provided for each home and has a regular collection. If you have a large amount of household waste to dispose of you can take it to any of the council amenity sites free of charge.

The council also provided a bulky waste collection for items to be removed from outside your home.

For more information on the full range of services and any charges contact Durham County Council.

Street lighting

If you notice a broken or faulty street light you should contact Durham County Council to report it.

Stray dogs

Please contact Durham County Council’s Dog Warden service to report stray dogs.

Vermin and pests

For advice about pest control and problems with vermin you should contact Durham County Council.

You are responsible for the treatment and control of infestations of rats, cockroaches and other vermin or pests in your home. In the event that we have to take action to address an infestation, pest or vermin problem in your home or you ask us to take action for this type of problem, you may be charged for this.